Saturday, December 18, 2010

Preparing For Twins - The Top 10 Must Have Products For Twin Mothers

Preparing for twins can be a very exciting yet stressful and time-consuming process.  As a twin mother myself, I can assure you that the less stress you have during pregnancy, the happier you will be and the healthier your children will be.  I hope this article provides answers for expecting twin mothers on what supplies to have before the birth of their babies.

If you are fortunate like myself, your family and friends, will be overly generous with their baby shower gifts.  I was amazed by the amount of gifts I received at my shower.  Not only did I get virtually everything I needed for the infant stage, I received a great amount of stuff for the toddler stage as well. It is best to register for EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you will need and don't feel bad putting big ticket items on the registry.  Some things you will need two of, other things you will not.

The following is a list of the 10 most important things a twin mother will need.



Twin Stroller- I use my stroller everywhere I go and could not imagine life without it.  I would recommend that you get one that allows you to put both car seats in it.  The one I use has this feature and it makes loading and unloading the twins a breeze.  Another thing to consider is the size and compact ability of the stroller.  The one I use fits perfectly in my hatchback and folds and unfolds very quickly. This makes life a lot easier and is definitely something to consider. 

Car Seats-You are going to need these installed and tested before they will allow you to take your babies home.  As I mentioned about the stroller, I highly recommend you get car seats that can be used with your stroller.  The ones I have easily pop out of my backseat and I can have the twins loaded in the stroller in under a minute-- many times without waking them up. You will also need the 3 -in-1 car seats when your twins out grow their infant seats.  Even though these will not be used until your twins are a year old, I still highly recommend you register for these items or purchase them ahead of time!

Twin Crib/Cribs-As you will learn, sleep is the most important thing for your twin babies.  Investing in a quality twin crib or two single cribs will be the best decision you can make.  You will also want to make sure you have a quality mattress, mattress cover, and crib cushions. I also suggest buying a book about healthy sleeping habits for twins! You will thank me later; I promise!

Swings-At first I just had one, but after realizing how much the twins enjoyed it, I went out and got another one.  When purchasing a swing you will want to avoid buying the cheap models as most of them are not as sturdy and make a great deal of noise.  Another thing to consider is whether or not they run on batteries or electric.  The first swing I got ran on DD batteries and replacing them can get costly.  When I purchased the second swing I made sure to get one that ran on electric.  

Rocking Chair/Gliders-You will be using a rocking chair/glider a lot and it is nice to have two, one for the nursery and one for a room you spend a great deal of time in such as the living room.  I spend many hours a day in my gliders and the quality time with the babies is priceless.  

Breast Pump- Nursing twins is definitely not out of the question.  If you do choose this option, trust me you will be spending a ton of time breastfeeding and having the right equipment is essential. There are many breast pumps on the market, so make sure you do your research before purchasing. You will also need a twin-nursing pillow that will allow you to nurse both babies at the same time, which does become very necessary unless you want to spend your ENTIRE day feeding.

Diaper Bag-Your Diaper Bag will go with you everywhere you go.  Choose one that fits under your stroller and offers adequate room for everything you will need. There are many diaper bags on the market and they come in a variety of different sizes and styles. The one I have came with a matching bottle cooler and binkie holder. 

High Chairs--You will need High Chairs when your twins are 4-6 months in age. There are a ton of High Chairs on the market and choosing the best one really depends on the room you will be doing your feeding in. Just make sure the ones you choose are sturdy and provide adequate comfort for the twins.

Boppy Pillows--Highly popular for all babies and I use mine in so many ways I don't know what I would do without them. I would recommend getting an extra set so that you do not have to drag them from room to room. My twins love taking naps and eating in their bobby pillows.

Diapers--As a twin mother you will burn through 6,000+ diapers your first year. You are going to want to try a few different types until you determine which ones the twins prefer. Once you find the brand that works best---BUY ONLINE and you will save a ton of money, time and frustration. 

I know I had a ton of questions when I was expecting twins so please feel free to email me with any questions or concerns you may have.  I am a member in many online twin forums and have many twin mother friends with great advice and encouragement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment