Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Memories in a Rocker Glider

When our children were young, my husband and I used to visit our friends Marian and Andy who had an A-frame cabin in northern Pennsylvania near the New York border. The cabin was one of maybe twenty-five that were built around a manmade lake. The children loved to get up early to go fishing with their Dad and Andy. Sometimes they would go canoeing or take the row boat out for a trip around the lake or just jump in the water for a swim. Every morning Marian and I would take a walk around the lake and then sit on the deck to plan the rest of our day. We might go to a garage sale or visit a craft shop. Often we would just sit and rock in her glider just talking and laughing while waiting for the fisherman to come back! I enjoyed that so much. It was so calming that it could almost put you to sleep.

Many years have passed since that time. Marian and Andy sold the cabin. Our children are grown adults with children of their own. But the memory of those years we spent there will always remain. Especially the memory of rocking in the glider watching the kids on the lake.

For several years all I talked about was how nice it would be to be sitting on the deck, rocking in a glider like Marian and Andy had at the cabin. For a long time no one took the hint. I guess I was not making myself clear! Finally one year I just came out and said, "If anybody ever wants to buy me something special, I would love a glider like the one that was at the cabin."

Shortly after, when Mothers Day came around, my daughter called to tell me to meet them on the deck they had a surprise. As I sat there in my plastic chair, around the corner of the house comes my two daughters with my son carrying this beautiful Cedar Glider! I was so excited. It was not the same as the one I remember, it was even better! It was heavier and was made for three people rather than two and had two heart shaped cutouts on the back of the seat.

It was on the deck for quite some time, where I really enjoyed it. I used to have my coffee out there some mornings. Later we moved it to the corner of the pool where I could sit and watch our grandchildren swim. Our grandson would climb out of the pool, wrap himself up in a towel and jump on my lap so I could keep him warm and then we would rock together. I guess we were making our own memories on that glider. I hope someday he will think back and remember those days we spent together the same way I remember those days on the glider at the cabin.

Not only will you find a Cedar Glider similar to the one I described, but many other Cedar and Teak products on our website. We also carry an assortment of cushions and a Teak umbrella. I am sure you will enjoy browsing our site. Maybe you will find something special there that you too have been longing for.

No comments:

Post a Comment